Thesis: Stage 2: User Manual
Note: If you just want to setup your site like our demo site to start, read this section.
- This theme uses the WordPress gallery options, more info here.
- Using the WordPress Menu system to create your Navigation.
- There are many general Thesis 2 tutorials listed here.
- We have many useful plugins listed here.
- For the contact form option on the front page you need to use a contact form plugin. We highly recommend Gravity Forms, Contact Form 7 is a lesser, but free alternative. Note design customizations to make other contact plugins work are not provided by Themedy Support.
Thesis 2 - Skin Installation - Quick Start
- If you are new to Thesis 2 make sure to read the Thesis 2 docs listed above to get up to speed on the basics.
- Install skins by activating Thesis 2 and going to Thesis -> Manage Skins -> Upload Skin.
- If you want the skin to look like our demo site, read this. Also one of our customers, Jupiter Jim, put together a great video showing the general process of installing a Thesis 2 skin here.
- New to Thesis 2 and Themedy? Watch our Thesis 2 / Themedy Quick Start video first.
After Installation Tips
- Make sure your: "Settings -> Reading -> Front page displays" is set to "A static page (select below)" and both drop downs have a page selected. (just create two blank pages if you haven't yet - called Home and Blog for example, to choose here)
- The intro text displayed under the photo grid on the homepage, comes from the text you add in the page editor for whatever page you selected as your homepage in the previous step.
- Visit "Thesis -> Skin Content" to find the skins options.
- Visit "Thesis -> Skin Design" to change the built in design options for this skin.
- Setup your navigation menu at: "Appearance -> Menus"
- Add your Header / Logo image at: "Thesis -> Header Image"
- Visit the Appearance -> Widgets area to add content where needed.
Themedy Settings Explained
You can view the Themedy settings by visiting "Thesis -> Skin Content" and "Thesis -> Skin Design"
Thesis -> Skin Content
Archive - Page Title and Tag: Optional, change the archive page title and tag.
Blog - Page Title and Tag: Optional, change the blog page title and tag.
Home - Latest News: Use this area to control the latest news section on the homepage.
Primary Navigation: This is where you set the navigation menu you want to use on your site - create it in Appearance -> Menus first. This is also where you set your Social Icons / links that show beside the nav menu.
Themedy Content Slider: This area controls the slider on the homepage located after the photo grid header and "Home: Introduction" widget area. Create your slides under the WordPress Dashboard -> Slides area, the WordPress featured image will be used as the overall background image for the slider area.
Themedy Location Section: Set the Google Maps overlay by entering a Google Maps embed URL here, like: https://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=46.237,-63.132&spn=0,0&z=14&output=embed
See how to get your Google Maps embed link
Themedy Photo Grid: Controls the top dynamic portfolio / photo grid header at the top of the homepage area.
- Galleries Grid: Pulls from all the posts created in the WordPress Dashboard -> Galleries area (pulls WordPress featured image)
- Portfolio Items Grid: Pulls from all the posts created in the WordPress Dashboard -> Portfolio area (pulls WordPress featured image)
- Blog Posts Grid: Pulls from all the posts created in the WordPress Dashboard -> Posts area (pulls WordPress featured image)
- Single Gallery Grid: Pulls from a single gallery post, you must enter the Gallery Post ID in the box below. When writing the post be sure to include a WordPress gallery (Add Media -> Create Gallery on post editing screen) as it will pull the images from there.
Themedy Portfolio Options: Options for the portfolio page template included with Stage 2. Create your portfolio by adding items to the WordPress Dashboard -> Portfolio section. Then create a blank page under WordPress Dashboard -> Pages and select "Portfolio" under the "Thesis Skin Custom Template" drop down. See the setting up a portfolio section below for more info.
Attribution: Customize the text shown in the footer area.
Thesis -> Skin Design
Use this area to set the various design options provided.
Using the Galleries Custom Post Type
This is how you create the gallery pages, ie: Sample Gallery Page
- Go to Galleries -> Add New
- Insert / create the gallery by using the WordPress Gallery Creation process.
- You can then add text under the gallery shortcode you just created, which will be shown under the gallery slider.
Using the Featured Photo Grid Feature on the Front Page
We've put together a quick video walkthrough that goes over this feature here.
Recommended plugins are WP Show IDs (to get page / post / category ID numbers) and AJAX Thumbnail Rebuild (if you have existing images before you use this theme, run this first), both of which can be found here.
Setting up the Portfolio
A customer of ours has put together a great video showing you how to setup our portfolio section, check it out here.