Thesis: Hatch: User Manual
Note: If you just want to setup your site like our demo site to start, read this section. Make sure you have WooCommerce active before importing the demo content - when it asks you can skip the WooCommerce page setup when it asks you.
- Using the WordPress Menu system to create your Navigation.
- There are many general Thesis 2 tutorials listed here.
- We have many useful plugins listed here.
- For the contact form option on the front page you need to use a contact form plugin. We highly recommend Gravity Forms, Contact Form 7 is a lesser, but free alternative. Note design customizations to make other contact plugins work are not provided by Themedy Support.
Thesis 2 - Skin Installation - Quick Start
- If you are new to Thesis 2 make sure to read the Thesis 2 docs listed above to get up to speed on the basics.
- Install skins by activating Thesis 2 and going to Thesis -> Manage Skins -> Upload Skin.
- If you want the skin to look like our demo site, read this. Also one of our customers, Jupiter Jim, put together a great video showing the general process of installing a Thesis 2 skin here.
- New to Thesis 2 and Themedy? Watch our Thesis 2 / Themedy Quick Start video first.
After Installation Tips
- Make sure your: "Settings -> Reading -> Front page displays" is set to "A static page (select below)" and both drop downs have a page selected. (just create two blank pages if you haven't yet - called Home and Blog for example, to choose here)
- Visit "Thesis -> Skin Content" to find the skins options.
- Visit "Thesis -> Skin Design" to change the built in design options for this skin.
- Setup your navigation menu at: "Appearance -> Menus"
- Add your Header / Logo image at: "Thesis -> Header Image"
- Visit the Appearance -> Widgets area to add content where needed.
Features: You can find this in your menu in the WordPress admin. This area allows you to create "feature" items for your front page (shown just above the newsletter signup area as seen on the Hatch demo site.)
Portfolio: You can find this in your menu in the WordPress admin. This area allows you to create "portfolio" items for your portfolio page. To create your portfolio page, create a new page and look for the Thesis Skin Custom Template" box in the page editor, select "Portfolio" from the drop down there. After you do this more options for your portfolio page will also appear in your page editor in a "Portfolio Options" box.
Page Featured Images: If you set a featured image on page it'll show behind the page title / page tag area in the header.
Note that for the most part these are just suggested sizes, but they give you a starting point.
Featured image icons (demo site size, flexible): 52x52px
Portfolio Thumbnails: 352x250px
Themedy Settings Explained
You can view the Themedy settings by visiting "Thesis -> Skin Content" and "Thesis -> Skin Design"
Thesis -> Skin Content
Blog Title: Set the blog page title shown in the header.
Front Page Background Video: Change your settings for the background video shown on the front page.
Front Page Countdown: Update your countdown date and time (leave blank to disable).
Front Page Featured Button: Update the text / link for the button shown under the count down. i.e:
<a class="button" href="#footer" data-scroll>Notify Me</a>
Front Page Featured Text: This is where you set the text shown on the front page above the count down. i.e:
<h1>Coming <strong>soon</strong>.</h1> We're using a Youtube video for our background- but you also can use your own HTML5 video, a featured image, a solid colour, or an awesome low-poly motion background. Neat!
Front Page Features Options: This area controls the features area on the homepage (as seen just above the footer subscribe area on the demo site). Set the amount of feature items or add an offset number to skip that amount of items before displaying the feature items (you can also enter negative numbers here, i.e -1)
Primary Navigation: This is where you set the navigation menu you want to use on your site - create it in Appearance -> Menus first.
Themedy - Footer Social List: Add your social media accounts here to have them show up at the bottom of your site.
Themedy - Footer Subscribe Area: This is the email subscribe area shown under the single blog posts views on our demo site. You can use these instructions to use MailChimp / Aweber or you can enter a shortcode for a contact form from a plugin like Gravity Forms.
Themedy - Page Tag: Set a default "page tag" (text shown under the title in the header). You can also set this on a page by page basis by looking for the "Themedy - Page Tag" box in the page editor.
Themedy Portfolio: Settings for the portfolio page.
Attribution: Customize the text shown in the footer area.
Thesis -> Skin Design
Use this area to set the various design options provided.