Genesis: FoxyNews: User Manual
Note: If you just want to setup your site like our demo site to start, read this section.
- How to install a Genesis theme.
- Using the WordPress Menu system to create your Navigation.
- There are many general Genesis tutorials listed here.
- We have many useful plugins listed here.
After Installation Tips
- Make sure your: "Settings -> Reading -> Front page displays" is set to "Your latest posts"
- Setup your navigation menu at: "Appearance -> Menus"
- Add your Header / Logo image at: "Appearance -> Header"
- You can change this themes site background options at "Appearance -> Background"
- Visit the Appearance -> Widgets area to add content where needed.
Final Setup Steps
After you have the theme installed there are a couple steps you have to do next.
- Add Genesis featured post widgets to all content areas (home top, bottom, left right etc.)
- Use other widget areas as needed, note the new widgets included with this theme are: Themedy tabbed, Flicker, video and Ads widgets.
- Download the Genesis Responsive Slider plugin, activate it and then go to it's setting page and click the reset settings button (or manually set it up with these settings.)
- Review the other options on the slider options page and adjust to your needs
Widget Setup Steps
The Appearance -> Widgets settings we used in our demo are:
Header Right Widget Area: Themedy 486x60 Ad widget
Primary Sidebar: Search widget, Themedy 300x250 Ad, Themedy Tabbed Widget, Genesis Latest Tweets, Themedy 125x125 Ads
Secondary Sidebar: Nothing
Home Top Left: Featured Posts (title Latest Posts, Number of posts to show 1, Number of posts to offset 0, order by date, Show Featured Image checked - image size Teaser Long Thumbnail 290x100, limit content to 195 characters, show post title and show post info checked.) Then add a second Featured Posts Widget (number of posts to show 2, number of posts to offset 1, show post title and show post info checked, limit content to 85 characters)
- Home Top Right: Same as Home Top Left just pulled in different categories of news.
- Home Bottom Left: Same as Home Top Left just pulled in different categories of news.
- Home Bottom Right: Same as Home Top Left just pulled in different categories of news.
- Post Widget: Text widget - You can even add a widget here!
- Footer 1: Themedy Video Widget
- Footer 2: Text Widget
- Footer 3: Themedy Flickr Photos
Q1) My slider isn't filtering by categories?
A1) Make sure you are using the category ID not the category name (the ID is a number). You can get the category ID by visiting your category page and clicking or hovering over the category and looking at the URL in your browser - the ID is after the tag_ID=4 part of the URL (4 in this case). You can also use a plugin like WP Show IDs to show them right on the page, download it from here.
Q2) How do I change the title length in the slider?