Genesis: Brisket: User Manual
Note: If you just want to setup your site like our demo site to start, read this section. Make sure you have WooCommerce active before importing the demo content - when it asks you can skip the WooCommerce page setup when it asks you.
- How to install a Genesis theme.
- Using the WordPress Menu system to create your Navigation.
- There are many general Genesis tutorials listed here.
- We have many useful WooCommerce and other plugins listed here.
- For the contact form option on the front page you need to use a contact form plugin. We highly recommend Gravity Forms, Contact Form 7 is a lesser, but free alternative. Note design customizations to make other contact plugins work are not provided by Themedy Support.
Note: WooCommerce has extensive documentation, this guide is just for the basics to get started. For questions about using WooCommerce refer to:
For WooCommerece support use the above links, we don't / can't provide WooCommerce technical support, just the general integration with our theme is supported, not the features and usage of the plugin itself.
After Installation Tips
- Make sure your: "Settings -> Reading -> Front page displays" is set to "A static page (select below)" and both drop downs have a page selected. (just create two blank pages if you haven't yet - called Home and Blog for example, to choose here). When creating the two blank pages make sure to select the Homepage and Blog templates in the WordPress Page Attributes box.
- Set the WordPress feature images on the home page you just created to change the top background image - i.e this one. If no image is used it will use the default from Appearance -> Themedy Settings: Main Header Background
- Setup your navigation menu at: "Appearance -> Menus" or "Appearance -> Customize -> Menus"
- Add your Header / Logo image at: "Appearance -> Header" or "Appearance -> Customize -> Header Image"
- Visit the Appearance -> Widgets area to add content where needed.
You will find these new areas in your WordPress admin after activating this skin.
Features: This area allows you to create "feature" items for your front page (shown just below the header on the Brisket Demo Site: Open Hours / Our Location / Contact us)
Portfolio: You can find this in your menu in the WordPress admin. This area allows you to create "portfolio" items for your portfolio page. To create your portfolio page, create a new page and look for the Thesis Skin Custom Template" box in the page editor, select "Portfolio" from the drop down there. After you do this more options for your portfolio page will also appear in your page editor in a "Portfolio Options" box.
Menu Items: This area allows you to create your food menu items.
Events Calendar Settings
- Click here for the Events -> Settings -> General Settings we used.
- Click here for the Events -> Settings -> Display Settings we used.
Note that for the most part these are just suggested sizes, but they give you a starting point.
Portfolio Thumbnail: 352x200px
Post Image size: 756x300px
Shop Single: 600x600px
Themedy Settings Explained
You can reach the Themedy settings panel by visiting "Appearance -> Themedy Settings"
- "jQuery menu?": Adds a hamburger toggle for the menu, if you have a small menu you may not need this.
- "Enable CSS animations across site?": Turn on / off the animations shown on the front page of our demo site as you scroll down.
- Use these options to control the various sections shown on your homepage.
Appearance: Using this color panel you can change the various color settings of this theme.
Footer: Customize the text shown in the footer area.
Footer Box Feature One: This is the left box shown directly above the footer on the front page talking about the Happy Hour.
Footer Box Feature Two: This is the right box shown directly beside the Happy Hour box.